Changing CN of Distribution Groups in Active Directory

May 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Edited May 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Hello kind user,

I'm bulk renaming Distribution Groups in my AD. I want to add a prefix to my DisplayName, samAccountName and CommonName.

The first two get changed succesfully, but I do not seem to be able to change the CN when I put in either prefix%'samAccountName'% or 'DisplayName' (which also is equal to prefix%'samAccountName'%) in the CN(RDN) field under the General tab.

The errors I receive:
<user UserDN="LDAP://CN=AL-KO Kober,OU=Klanten,OU=Distributielijsten,DC=MAXLEAD,DC=LOCAL" type="Failure" attribute="Modify RDN" message="ADMODIFY.ERR - Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'ActiveDs.IADsUser'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{3E37E320-17E2-11CF-ABC4-02608C9E7553}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE))." />

and

<user UserDN="LDAP://CN=AL-KO Kober,OU=Klanten,OU=Distributielijsten,DC=MAXLEAD,DC=LOCAL" type="Failure" attribute="Name" message="ADMODIFY.ERR - The directory service cannot perform the requested operation on the RDN attribute of an object. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072016)" />

What can I do in order to bulk change the (common)names of these objects?
Also changing samAccountName must be done under the Custom tab, correct? Or is there another (easier) way?