Mail-enable existing contacts in AD

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Dear all,

I am trying to mail-enable a large list of existing Contacts in Active Directory on Server 2003. These contacts already have an e-mail address which relates to the 'mail' attribute and all I want to do is actually mail-enable them. When I select them in bulk using ADUC, I do not get the option to "establish e-mail address" unless I select them individually and this would take some time!

I was wondering if ADModify could do this. I can set the SMTP address using the variable %'Mail'% and set the homeMTA but it doesn't actually mail-enable the object. So far I've been successful in modifying other attributes for multiple Contacts like the Office location and Department, something which ADUC cannot do either. I am rather surprised that the only option when selecting multiple Contacts is to change the description.
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2007 at 12:39 AM
There isn't a "mail enable" option per se in ADModify but you should be able to set all of the required attributes. The first one that comes to mind for a contact is target address. This is usually a unique address specific to the contact, which is why ADUC does not allow you to bulk enable them. But if you have a common variable you can create the address on, perhaps you can use the custom tab and modify the targetAddress attribute to mail-enable the object.